A while ago I alluded to the baking sessions that Ali P and I used to have in university. A recipe from the back of a Chip-its packet might’ve been mentioned…and today I’m here to share.
This recipe has lasting power. It is like chocolate chip cookies dressed up in leopard print and killer heels. When Ali P showed me the little coupon-sized recipe from the grocery store, and I saw all the good things in it, we decided it was going to be our first recipe adventure together. It worked out beautifully…the cookies oozed caramelized flavours from the toffee bits and butter and sugar and everything nice. The texture, when cooked just right, should be soft and chewy and full of flavour in the middle, with a nice caramelized crispy-chewy edge from the melted toffee bits – heaven!
- 1 cup (227g) room temperature butter
- 1 cup (245g) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (110g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (about 45g each)
- 2 tsp. (5g) pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 cups (150g) rolled oats
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Skor toffee bits
- 1 cup chopped pecans
*For the flour, I like to use about 1 cup whole wheat flour. Since whole wheat flour weighs more, I would recommend reducing the overall flour amount to about 2 cups – 1 cup all-purpose, 1 cup whole wheat. I use whole wheat in this recipe because with all the gritty bits from chocolate chips, toffee bits, oats, and pecans, you wouldn’t even realize you have gritty whole wheat flour in there as well, plus it’s good for you!
Make the Dough
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, or with a handheld mixer, cream butter and sugars together on medium/high speed until light in colour, about 3 minutes. Add in eggs one at a time, beating just until incorporated. Beat in vanilla
- Slowly mix in the flour, salt, and baking soda. You want to beat it in if you can, until it is fully incorporated into the dough
- Work in the oats slowly. If using an electric stand mixer, you should have no problems beating everything…it might seem like it’s a bit heavy, but your mixer is strong enough!
- Add in the chocolate chips, toffee bits, and pecans until everything is distributed evenly
- Shape into little 1.5″ balls on a cookie sheet and bake in oven for about 12-15 minutes, just until golden on top
- Cool on cookie sheet for about 3 minutes before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely. This recipe makes A LOT of cookies…about 4 dozen!
Try it right away. You’ll love these cookies, and you’ll start hoarding Chip-its packages of Skor bits, because they’re not always stocked at every single supermarket!