A little something for a little girl’s first birthday. The theme that her parents requested was Mary Had A Little Lamb…so off I went with some modelling with the fondant!
- 1/4 cup strawberry puree that’s been cooked, reduced, and thickened
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 1/2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- Cream butter and salt in an electric mixer with a paddle attachment until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes on medium-low speed
- Sift in the icing sugar in two parts, stirring just to combine each time. It’d be helpful to drape a cloth over the mixer when you do this to avoid icing sugar flying everywhere
- Scrape in the vanilla paste from the bean pod, and add in the thickened strawberry puree. You don’t need to thicken the puree, but I think it helps to intensify the flavour
- Mix on medium-low speed until combined. Don’t mix too much – too much air would make it very light and airy and harder to stick on cakes…not that it’s a bad thing, though, if you’re partial to lighter frosting and you’re making cupcakes
The little lamb had somewhat evil eyes, I know – food writers suck, don’t buy them. For the little girl, I opted to use a toothpick and the black food colouring paste I had, which worked out much more precise and looks way nicer!