I never used to like pancakes, and was always more of a waffle person. However, these days whenever I decide to eat healthy and cut out refined carbs, I always get this weird craving for pancakes – yummy, dense, carby goodness for breakfast. After making these pancakes, I also think I might’ve just had bad luck with crappy pancakes before (McDonalds, boxed mixes, etc.) and the real homemade stuff actually isn’t bad at all!
One thing that made me love my pancakes even more was that, as you might have noticed, I didn’t put syrup on these pancakes. Those giant chunks of white on the pancake stack are not butter, either. Welcome to a world of pancakes with leftover cream cheese icing, my friends. Try it – and celebrate the fact that you’ve just been able to use up your leftover cupcake icing, like me.
Blueberry Lemon Pancakes
recipe from Joy the Baker
You will need
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries, frozen or fresh*
*I used frozen, but I had frozen mine on a tray last summer, so the berries were nicely separated and there were no large chunks stuck together with ice. If you have store-bought berries, you may want to thaw and drain first before using.
How to make ’em
- In a bowl, whisk together butter, egg, and buttermilk
- Stir in dry ingredients and lemon zest quickly with the whisk or a fork. The mixture will be slightly chunky, but don’t overmix to get it to be super-smooth!
- Throw in berries to the mixture just until it’s evenly distributed in the mixture
- Heat a non-stick pan (I am paranoid about using Teflon pans but pancakes are one of the few exceptions that require it to make the breakfast process less stressful!) and spray with cooking spray
- Drop the batter in dollops and flatten slightly with a Teflon-friendly spatula. Flip when small bubbles begin to form at the edges of the pancake. These cook relatively quickly! Serve with a smear of cream cheese icing :-)