The first time I made this salad was about a year ago, at a friend’s party, when we were throwing together a Tex-Mex themed DIY taco bar. We wanted to throw some more vegetables and colours into the mix, without taking away from the southern influence. Inspired by a few ingredients sitting on the counter, we set out to create this.
Ever since I’ve made it for the first time (and had the salad devoured quickly at the party), I’ve been coming back to this recipe every time I get my hands on some fresh corn. I now know that this isn’t rocket science; in fact, a lot of other food bloggers have made some sort of corn salad. Yet I kind of feel like I invented my own version here below, and before all the corn of the summer is gone from the farmers’ markets, I wanted to share the recipe with you.
Corn Salad (serves 4 as sides, or 2 as big-sides/light meals)
- Cut corn kernels – from 2 ears of corn, blanched in boiling water
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, or a hot chilli pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 3 stalks of green onions, chopped
- 1 handful of cilantro (coriander) leaves, chopped
- 1 medium-sized tomato, diced
- 1 bunch of radishes, quartered or diced, depending on size
- 1/2 of an avocado, diced
- Mix together lime juice, salt, pepper, cayenne, green onions, and cilantro leaves in a big mixing bowl
- Throw in corn, diced tomatoes, and cut radishes. Toss everything together well
- Mix in cut avocado sections last, as they’re likely to fall apart. Correct with salt and pepper
Easy-peasy! It’s the perfect solution to a quick summer supper, and the flavours of the fresh vegetables are all nicely preserved in the lime dressing. I add the radishes for crunch and colour, and the avocado for an additional smooth texture. Both are optional if you don’t have them, but try adding in other veggies for colour and texture if you can!
Who is this friend you speak of (haha)? That salad was amazing and am totally craving it. Will have to make it before they stop selling corn!